Rice, meat, spices, herbs, onion, garlic…you make your list and go to the market. Before making a special meal, you first prepare the ingredients you need. You wouldn’t want to start cooking and then have to stop and run to the store. In the same way, as you begin your journey with Disciple Making Movements (DMMs), it is good to get your tools, training,
Invest in Your DMM Toolbox
There are many different tools you can add to your “toolbox” as you make disciples. But there are several things that are most essential. Get those basics in place. Then, as a builder or carpenter does, when you come across various new materials and skills, you can also add them to your DMM tool belt.
Essential DMM Tools and Resources
1. The Bible
This is so obvious I almost didn’t list it, but then decided I must. The Bible (particularly the example of Jesus and the Apostles in the New Testament) is your most important instruction manual for how to start a DMM. Take extra time to study, re-read and meditate on the principles for multiplying disciples that are there.
If at all possible, join a regular and ongoing training. DMMs are not something that
- YWAM Frontier Missions offers many onsite trainings in many parts of the world through their Multipliers network. See YWAM’s website for more information.
- No Place Left has excellent training if you are based in the USA.
- David Watson has good podcasts available on his website Movements and they offer training in various parts of the world as well.
- Roger Thoman of Appleseed Ministry recently launched a new online course on how to start simple church. Appleseed offers onsite training in Africa. Write to them for more information on how to join these.
DmmsFrontierMissions will be launching our own Online Just in Time Training in June. Stay tuned for more information about that!
3. A Friendly Accountability partner and/or Coach
Is there someone else in your area who is also wanting to multiply disciples? Could you meet with them once a month (or even better, every two weeks) for friendly accountability, prayer, and encouragement?
- CP Coaches offers coaching opportunities.
- CMI also offers excellent coaches at a reasonable price.
If you are looking for a DMM coach and struggling to find one, do write to me.
4. A Community of DMM practitioners.
It makes a big difference when you have friends walking alongside you on this journey. They can encourage, pray, answer questions, help you overcome roadblocks and cheer for you when you see breakthroughs. If this is a face to face group, and that is available in your area, that is definitely the best option.
If it is not, you can also join a DMM focused Whatsapp group. Or join the DMM Facebook Group. Visit regularly, contributing your input and commenting on others posts. These groups can greatly impact your sustainability and success.
5. Good Evangelism Tools that fit your context.
Talk with others in your area and who are working in your same people group. What tools are they using that are proving effective? Different tools work better for different contexts. Look for one or two that are simple to learn. Please don’t try to use them all! Mass evangelism approaches are generally not very reproducible. A personal presentation of Christ is generally more effective.
- Create International‘s Evangelistic videos have been used powerfully.
- The Jesus Film is available in many languages.
- Evangecube is a simple way to present the gospel.
- Creation to Christ story materials are widely available. The C2C Story app is also excellent. If you are working with Hindus, consider this version and app.
- Any 3 (available on the DMMs Resource page) is one of my favorite evangelism approaches.
6. The T4T or Contagious Disciple-Making Books.
If you decided on a Training for Trainers approach,
If you are using a Discovery Bible Study approach, I recommend getting a copy of Contagious Disciple-Making. This is also available on the DMM Resources page.
How is Your Tool Belt? Are you Ready?
Taking time to get your tools in hand as you begin to build really helps!
Which of the above do you still need? What step will you take this week to put that in place? Let me know in the comments.
1st Generation Skills
Get a free checklist of Skills needed for first generation disciples/trainees to move forward. Assess these skills and see faithful disciples turn into fruitful disciples.