Not everyone comes to your disciple-making group. Discovery Bible Study Group or house church will come for the right reasons. How do we handle these people and this situation? Cynthia Anderson, Disciple Multiplication coach, discusses this in today’s episode.
Key Points from this episode:
- Sometimes people will be attracted to you, your ministry, or your group for the wrong reasons. This is not abnormal and is common.
- God does sometimes use wrong motivations to draw people to the Kingdom, but they change and encounter God. Be patient and see what God will do in them.
- Truth and love go together. Speak the truth but keep loving them.
- People may need gentle, loving correction and discipleship and you may need to talk to them about the issue of why they are coming and exhort them to seek Jesus, not simply benefits.
- Build relationships and trust before confronting people about their motives.
- Discipleship is not a meeting! It happens in the context of a relationship.
- Affirm them and your love for them first, before confronting them.
- Be straightforward without accusation. Ask questions showing you truly want to understand.
- Don’t ignore issues. Good leaders are willing to address problems rather than pretend they don’t exist.
- Many people have never experienced loving, godly correction. He will give you wisdom as you do this.