Spiritual gifts are given by God to all believers. They develop most easily in the context of safe groups and smaller communities of believers. Cynthia Anderson talks about the gifts, particularly how the 5 fold ministry gifts are not supposed to be offices or titles but to build up and expand the Body of Christ.
Key Points from this episode:
- 1 Corinthians 12:7 says, “A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.” NLT
- The purpose of spiritual gifts is so we can help one another and build up the body of Christ.
- Every person has been given a spiritual gift to use for Kingdom purposes.
- Spiritual gifts are expressed as we try different kinds of ministry. We discover our gifts as we step into new opportunities for ministry.
- It is easier for us to use new gifts of the Spirit in the context of smaller, supportive groups that feel safe for learning and growing in the gifts.
- The word pastor is not used in Scripture as a position, it is used to describe a spiritual gift. Many people with the gift of pastor are not ordained ministers.
- You don’t need a pulpit to be able to pastor others.
- The gift of apostle is the gift of pioneering. Entrepreneurs are often those who have apostolic gifts.
- Actively work to make space for new gifts to be developed by those who attend the house church or disciple-making group.